THE REAL REASON I AM LAUNCHING A WOMEN-ONLY STRENGTH AND WELLBEING STUDIO!
My mission is to create a comfortable space to allow women to become the strongest and most confident version of themselves!
I launched Winners Strength and Wellbeing (formerly Winners Fitness), in September 2019 with the aim of creating a community of strong confident women.
Through my own past experience of years of depression, feeling worthless, and being physically weak,(You can check out my background here) my belief is that no matter what your age, background, or experience, all women deserve to become strong and confident. I focus on strength training to encourage mental and physical wellbeing with key messages focussed around positivity, strength, dedication, and never giving up. Although in the fitness industry myself I feel the industry ostracizes many women making them more insecure, so I also cut the crap!
You won’t see a filtered selfie, you won’t see a shitty pose in front of the mirror with a pouty face and makeup on, (you may see a sweaty ugly one) you won’t hear me talk about rubbish detox plans, you won’t see me promoting the latest fitness fashion trends aimed at those who are already ‘skinny’, and the word diet isn’t even in my vocab! It is a word with too many negative feelings attached to it!
What you will hear me talk about is the fact that reaching your goals isn’t easy! It requires dedication, strength, never giving up, and a belief that you can do it, no matter how fast or slow.
What you will hear me talking about is that fitness should not be about what size you are, it should be about how it makes you feel from within – who cares if you are a size 8 or 18, as long as you are chasing the feeling of feeling fabulous each time you exercise then that’s what counts right?
What you will hear me talking about is that it is OK to have bad days, it is OK to have days where you want to curl up and shut the world off and it is OK to admit weaknesses. Having weaknesses isn’t a sign of weakness, it’s finding the strength from the weaknesses that we should focus on.
We at Winners never give up!
With this in mind, I am launching South Manchesters’ first Strength and Wellbeing Studio to help make women realize that fitness is not about what you look like, but it is about how it makes you feel from the inside.
Life has hit us hard and for many of us, we are suffering from a lack of confidence, low self-esteem, and no guidance. I want to be able to help women realise their true potential and they can find the strength from within to know they are more capable than they think!
After much research, I recognize that there are simply not enough affordable spaces for women to strength train comfortably with the support and equipment they require. The same goes for their mental wellbeing. Classes, advice, and workshops are often too expensive or too few and far between for many women to be able to access. Winners Strength and Wellbeing is determined to change this. Now more than ever we need more accessible spaces to feel empowered, supported, valued and motivated.
- The median age of depression onset is 32.5 years old
- Major depressive episodes are highest among individuals between 18 and 25
- 11.3% of adults have experienced a major depressive episode in the past year
- 8.7% of women have depression
- Strength training improves mental health by reducing anxiety, depression, and negative mood and by improving self-esteem and cognitive function
I asked hundreds of women in the local area: What stops you from going to a gym or exercising? Here are the results:
• Fear: Fear of looking silly or being watched by strangers
• Intimidation: Often gyms are intimidating with some areas (heavyweight areas) heavily dominated by men
• Lack of affordable support: Private personal training perceived to be too expensive
• Suitability: They haven’t found a class they enjoy and/or which pushes them
• Religion: Very few women-only classes where some can feel comfortable training
• Lack of confidence: Many don’t feel confident or safe in a gym environment
• Lack of fitness: Many think they won’t be good enough or struggle to get started
• Age: Women may perceive themselves as too old to join an exercise group
• Lack of knowledge: Many don’t understand the significant health benefits
• Value for money: Gym memberships seen to be an unnecessary expense as they do not know what they are doing in a gym
My mission is to create a comfortable affordable space to allow women to become the strongest and most confident version of themselves!
Over the past year, I have trained over 300 women in my women-only strength training classes in various schools and church halls in and around Stockport, however, this comes with many limitations! The dream is to launch a studio that will become the local hub for women to grow in confidence and strength, and I am delighted to have found a studio right in the heart of Cheadle!
For many, my women-only classes have now become an integral part of their weekly calendar and as such, I have started to create an incredible community of women of all different ages, sizes, nationalities, and fitness levels. Women who never thought it possible to enjoy training have been learning how to train properly using weights and are seeing incredible results both mentally and physically. The past year has made me realize that there is a huge demand to create a permanent safe space for women to feel comfortable, push their boundaries, and become the strongest versions of themselves.
To check out the plans for the studio, read some true testimonials from members, and support the launch of this incredible studio, click here!
I Can’t wait to see all your faces soon!
Strength grows in the moments you think you can’t go on, but you keep going anyway